Welcome to my home on the internet. I am a middle aged, fluffy, stay at home mother to five kids. Life is not perfect, but it is great! If you want to witness someone struggle with a special needs child, her faith, her marriage, weight loss, and life; you found the right spot. If you were hoping for perfection, keep looking. I have a great sense of humor and I love to uplift and pray for others, so send requests or drop me a line.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Am I trash?

I haven't been here if forever!  I come today just to express some frustrations with the world around me.  I am a conservative Christian living in America.  I have gotten pregnant five times and delivered five children, that alone makes me somewhat of a carnival attraction in the US.  In case you live under a rock, we elected a new president of the United States of America yesterday.  The election did not go the way I hoped.  I will not get into that though.  What makes my heart heavy today is all of my friends, family, and aquaticense that are talking about how the country is going to be overrun by lazy, no good, poor people looking for a free handout and that refuse to work. How many of our friends and family realize they just swept me, my husband, and our five beautiful children away with the rest of the 46 million Americans that use food stamps?  That is 46,000,000 in case you need to see the zeroes to see what your narrow minded, lumping of all humans with an EBT card looks like.  Yes, I will admit that their are people in the country that have little to no ambition in their life, that have seen generational poverty at its saddest, they have never known life outside of the government dependence they were raised in.  BUT their are many, many, overwhelming more families that look very similar to mine.  I am 35 years old, I have a high school diploma, I have 60 hours of college credit from two separate universities.  I met my husband when I was 19 and thought storybooks were true.  I got married one week to the day after my 21st birthday.  I gave birth to my first child the day after my 22nd birthday.  My wonderful husband also has his high school education. He has around 30 hours of college credit from two separate universities.  He has worked in either factories or warehouses most of his adult life.  He made a brief foray into the emergency medical world until our marriage almost ended because of the hours and stress of that occupation.  He has worked at his current position for a little over 7 years.  We applied for food stamps the first time when I was pregnant with our oldest daughter, I was sicker than belief through most of my pregnancy and couldn't work, we received $19 a month in assistance.  When our daughter was 4 months old I went back to work full time and we came off all assistance.  We have repeated this situation for the next 12 years.  Until our youngest daughter was born, since then we have given up hope of me going back to work because of her high medical needs and the level of care she requires, and we have been on food stamps for the longest stretch now.  I am a reasonably intelligent, well spoken, Spirit filled mother and wife.  My husband is a very intelligent, well spoken, Spirit filled, all around good guy who would give anybody the shirt off his back if he thought you needed it more than he did, but the fact is that he just doesn't bring enough money home with his full time paycheck to fully support his family.  So what would you have us do?  Should we give a child up for adoption?  They are somewhat attached to our family since they are 13, 11, 8, 4, and 2.  Should we live in a substandard home that make our special needs daughter sicker?  Should we pull our 13 year old out of school and make her go to work?  Should we pull her out of school so I can go to work?  Should we eat less meals?  I understand that most Americans would read this and say we should not have access to the internet or blogging, use that money to eat.  What if I told you that we don't pay for our phone or internet, a family member pays that bill direct out of their checking account because I communicate with 3 of our daughter's doctors by email on a very frequent basis? 

Are we a pariah on the country?  We never had an expectation of having a special needs child.  We never expected for the job my husband took 7 years ago to have SOME income to become the job he excelled in and saw promotion in.  We never expected to work for a company that makes billions of dollars a year and doesn't return some of that money to its loyal, hardworking employees.  We never expected for the price of groceries to more than double in the last 5 years. 

So when you make broad assumptions about ANY group or race you are only limiting yourself from seeing how they could bless you.  Thanks if you actually read this :) I can now safely step down from my soap box and go about my day :)

0 comments: